Plantain farm business is a profitable one.
Note that to maximise the potential you need to look into its value added derivatives.
I started many years ago and i have not have cause to regret it.
Before starting some of the things that should be considered are suitability of land,availability of labour, good hybrid suckers,risks,market etc
*Land suitability*
There is nothing so time consuming,money wasting than cultivating in a land that's not suitable for the crop to which is to be planted.
I cultivated plantain many many years ago in a place I thought will be good for plantain.
At the end of the day,we abandoned the farm when the cost was rising and I couldn't keep up with a lot of things that was not envisage initially.
One of the first lesson I learnt is to always ask local farmers in any new location i want to set up my farm about the general weather situation of the area.
They know the area very well than you do.
This will enable you to have an idea of the location in terms of weather,security,the people there,etc to enable you plan for emergencies that might come up.
Most times,don't rely on what you read online.
Normally,if you google the locations which are suitable for plantain,you will see so many write up stating the number of states suitable for plantain including Ogun state
But I have come to realise that most online perspective are very different from field experience.
I was in a small town along sagamu-abeokuta road,( kobape)before you get to Abeokuta,
Most of the plantain farm there are not doing well.
The weather there is as harsh as some part of weather situation in abuja during dry season.
If enquiries have being made from the locals living there,they might have inform them and they will be able to plan with the situation on ground to know whether venturing into it is worth it or not.
I have come to realised from my experience from having different farms in different states that each location has it's own specific challenges that's needed to be tackled.
You cannot judge a location using the situation of another location.
You have got to ask questions from the local residents in the location.
I was asked this question one time "if the state of california in US ( *Note that* :Most of california is a desert land and a major food hub in the US),
In fact,the economy of California is base solely on agriculture and its economy is the third largest after New York and Los Angeles
It can produce most of our major staple foods and still make good profit,
The same for Israel
Their soil is rocky and yet they are the biggest exporter of vegetables and flowers in the whole world
On the other hand,Nigeria has about 30million hectares of cultivable land (about the size of Ireland/Australia),yet we cannot feed ourselves, not to talk of exporting to other countries
Recap
Get a good location;
Ask local farmers the weather situation especially if its a new location for you.